8. What does The Bradley Method® Teach?
1. Natural childbirth – Nearly 90% of Bradley® moms having vaginal births do so without pain medication.
2. Active participation by the husband-partner-loving support person as coach.
3. Excellent nutrition (the foundation of a healthy pregnancy and baby).
4. Avoidance of drugs during pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding, unless absolutely necessary. No drug has been proven safe for an unborn baby.
5. Training: “Early Bird” classes followed by weekly classes starting in the 5th month and continuing until the birth.
6. Relaxation and NATURAL breathing – can be effective pain management techniques with training according to the National Institutes of Health.
7. “Tuning-in” to your own body and trusting the natural process.
8. Immediate and continuous contact with your new baby.
9. Breastfeeding, beginning at birth provides immunities and nutrition.
10. Consumerism and positive communications.
11. Parents taking responsibility for the safety of the birth place, procedures, attendants, and emergency back-up.
12. Parents being prepared for unexpected situations such as emergency childbirth and cesarean section.