Here is PART II of our VLOGS with guest doula, Michelle Ludwig from Modern Mama Doula Services.
Last week, she showed us her TOP 5 picks for postpartum. Today she is going to share her DIY tutorial for you to make soothing postpartum “padsicles” right at home during pregnancy so that they are ready for you when you are home holding your sweet pea!
What you need:
-Witch Hazel ~ we both really like the Humphrey’s brand – available in regular or organic)
-Maxi-pads ~ if you can find them, get some chemical-free and bleach-free; usually available online
-Freezer Storage Bags
1) Open up all the pads and leave them on the wrapper so that they don’t stick to each other later
2) Lay them all out on your cookie sheet
3) Spray the witch hazel on to the pads until they are wet BUT not dripping
4) Put the whole cookie tray into the freezer for about two hours
5) Once the witch hazel has frozen, take them back out of the freezer and fold them back up for storage. Place them in a freezer storage bag and back into the freezer while you wait for your Sweet Pea to make their appearance.
6) Use them during the postpartum period on top of the large postpartum pads you will receive in your birth kit or from the hospital.
They will be a little chilly at first, but after the initial freeze they will feel great on your bottom.
I did ask Michelle what her experience was with other “add-ons”. Some info out on the internet suggests using lavender essential oil or aloe vera gel along with the witch hazel on the pads when you are preparing them.
As Michelle so wisely answered, less is more. Witch hazel is an extremely effective healing agent, and it would be a bummer to find out that you are allergic to lavender or aloe vera when you are trying to heal from birth, learning to breastfeed and figuring out your mothering.
The witch hazel and pads are part of Michelle’s especially prepared Bump Boxes. Along with the items for padsicles, you will also receive some hand crafted postpartum essentials that she makes herself. You can order Michelle’s specially made with love package from her HERE
Would you like to interview Michelle as a doula? Please read her meet the doula feature HERE
CELL OR TEXT 7204098977
The material included in this video is for informational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The viewer should always consult her or his healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation. Krystyna and Bruss Bowman and Bowman House, LLC accept no liability for the content of this site, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. This blog and video contain information about our classes available in Chandler, AZ and Payson, AZ and is not the official website of The Bradley Method®. The views contained in this video and on our blog do not necessarily reflect those of The Bradley Method® or the American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth®.
Birthing From Within and Bradley Method® natural childbirth classes offered in Arizona: convenient to Chandler, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale